Wednesday, June 8, 2011

New songs for June 8th, 2011

here they are:

"Jejune Stars" by Bright Eyes: I don't exactly know what "jejune stars" are supposed to be, but both the music and lyrics of this song are absolutely wonderful! The themes of karma and redemption appeal very much to my "inner Buddhist" and philosophical side, and the rather abstract lyrics of the chorus ("So I go umbrella under my arm, to the green of the radar"), just add to how creative this song truly is! You would think that with such spiritual lyrics that this would be one of the more calming, folk-y songs from Bright Eyes, but it isn't. Instead, its sound is rather new wave-y and Cars-y, which makes this song all the more worth listening to for me! With only two songs for this week, I would highly recommend this one!

"The Whole Enchilada" by Keb' Mo': The few songs of Keb' Mo' that I've heard were mostly acoustic guitar based contemporary blues songs. With his latest song, "The Whole Enchilada", Keb' adds in a '70s soul/funk influence along with his typical blues fare. As with most Keb' Mo' songs, the appeal of "The Whole Enchilada" is more in the guitar riffs (and, in this case, the rhythm) than it is in the lyrics. To answer Keb's question in the chorus ("Now that you got-a the whole enchilada, what'cha gonna do, what'cha gonna do?"), I'm gonna try to listen to this song enough times to learn both the lyrics and the licks of this song!