Wednesday, July 10, 2019

New songs for July 10th, 2019

here they are:


"Complainer" by Cold War Kids: Most of what passes for "rock" these days seems to come in either a folk-y flavor or a funky one. Cold War Kids' "Complainer" definitely falls into the latter category. Contrary to its title, "Complainer" is not about complaints. It's actually about going against those who complain about things. The central line of the song is probably the first words of its chorus: "You say you want to change the world, but do you really believe in magic?" This line is probably about how people who say they want to "change the world" don't usually do anything aside from complaining about how bad the world is. Nathan Willett isn't having any of that, and that's basically how he was able to turn a song with a negative title into a more positive song overall.


"History Repeats" by Brittany Howard (from Alabama Shakes): The only other song for this week is also funk influenced. Instead of going for the pop-funk sound of Michael Jackson like Cold War Kids opted for in the previous entry, Alabama Shakes' lead singer goes more for the more eccentric, subversive funk of the '80s other leading soul man, Prince. Another thing this song shares in common with Prince is how clever it is lyrically. The name of the song is "History Repeats", and...well...that's exactly what it does during the second half of the song (in a song that's only around 3 minutes to begin with)!! It repeats the same words over and over at this point, but I feel like Brittany Howard meant to do this. She's TRYING to mess with our heads when she says this line! She states in the beginning of the song that she doesn't want to go back to where she was again, yet that's exactly what she does. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to make sure I don't repeat myself. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to make sure I don't repeat myself. (See what I did there?!)