Wednesday, October 26, 2022

New songs for October 26th 2022

 here they are:


"Honey" by The Lone Bellow:  The Lone Bellow continue their previously unexpected turn to synth-pop/rock they had from earlier this year with "Gold" for their latest single, "Honey." I'm not exactly the biggest fan of their leap from folk-rock to synth-pop, but this song is at least tolerable for its occasional swaths of sweeping, echo-laden guitar, and for maintaining the signature harmonies The Lone Bellow have cultivated since 2013. Though lead singer Zach Williams addresses his subject as "honey," the truth is that his wife doesn't actually like being called that, so the title is partially tongue-in-cheek. However, the message of the song still manages to be sincere, centering around when Zach first fell in love with his wife and trying to recapture the glory days of his romance.


"I Ain't Quite Where I Think I Am" by Arctic Monkeys:  Arctic Monkeys impressed me quite a bit with their last adult alt radio hit, the Sinatra-esque "There'd Better Be a Mirrorball." Their latest song, "I Ain't Quite Where I Think I Am," takes Alex Turner and co to previously uncharted musical territory once again! "I Ain't Quite Where I Think I Am" goes in a "retro" direction like their previous single did, but this time, we get a song that fuses the lighter side of the psychedelic rock that dominated the late '60s with the wah-wah dominated funk sounds of the early '70s. Fitting to its spacey sound, "I Ain't Quite Where I Think I Am" seems to be about the aftermath of partying all night long and wondering why you are where you are and why you're doing what you're doing. 


"I'm in Love With You" by The 1975:  "I'm in Love With You" continues in the surprisingly folk-rock-y direction that The 1975 decided to pursue earlier this year with the poignant "Part of the Band." "I'm in Love With You" is bittersweet both musically and lyrically, centering around how you can be in love with someone and not even realize it until it's too late. The song doesn't contain the intricate orchestration that their previous single, "Part of the Band," did, but it still utilizes acoustic guitar in a way that songs from The 1975's other albums did not, with its main backing instrument being percussion. The lyrics seem like they could be relatable for many people, as the realization that you could be in love with someone and not even know it can both make and break a relationship. If I am to go by this song's aching yet still upbeat sound, I would say that "I'm in Love With You" is about a relationship that ended up being made rather than broken.