Wednesday, October 29, 2014

New songs for October 29th, 2014

here they are:


"I Wish You Would" by JD McPherson: JD McPherson's self-consciously "retro" blend of Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Elvis Presley made a huge splash in 2012 with "North Side Gal" and "Fire Bug" (and again in Christmas of that year with "Twinkle Little Christmas Lights"). "I Wish You Would" is more of the same, which is definitely not a bad thing, as I have grown quite accustomed to JD's sound, but it has two differences from his previous work that are both worth noting. First of all, "I Wish You Would" is actually a cover of an ACTUAL "oldie but goodie" from blues musician Billy Boy Arnold. It is also only 1 and a half minutes long. "I Wish It Would" be longer!!


"September Fields" by Frazey Ford: Equal parts country, folk, rock, and soul, but entirely soothing both vocally and instrumentally, Frazey Ford's debut solo song, "September Fields", sounds like a missing link between Dolly Parton and Bonnie Raitt. Frazey used to be a member of indie-folk group, The Be Good Tanyas, who are perhaps best known for their bittersweet holiday song, "Rudy" (about Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer). Her humble, down-to-earth qualities, from what I hear, come across both in her music and her personality. I think somebody needs to introduce me to her!!


"Something From Nothing" by Foo Fighters: And you thought The Foos' "The Pretender" was their attempt to emulate "Stairway to Heaven"?! I would say that "Something From Nothing" falls under that category as well!! It has an acoustic intro, slowly builds into more of a rocker, and then goes to full-blown hard rock by the end. Sound familiar?! Those chunky riffs in the middle of the song also seem to be heavily influenced by Zeppelin. I would say that this song is more like "nothing from something". Dave, Jimmy Page called. He wants his guitar back!!